Monday, October 19, 2015

The Keyword Is "Answers"

Elders Coleman, Jones, Curtis, and Griffiths
Oh my goodness I could talk about how prayers are answered for the next seven-and-a-half months. Every single day of my mission prayers are answered. Whether they are my own prayers or the prayers of others, it doesn't matter.

Meaningful prayers can be a challenge. As one of the ways we talk with people, Elder Jones and I ask right off the bat, "Can we say a prayer with you?" Think about how many people we see in a day. Most people are willing to say a prayer so we get the opportunity to say quite a few during the day. Trust me, I know what it is like to get into the habit of monotonous prayers. An important concept I've learned about making my prayers meaningful is by following these three things:
  • First, ask Heavenly Father inspired questions. If we pray by the Spirit, we will know what we need to pray for and what we need to ask.
  • Second, listen. Prayer is a conversation, not a "to do list" that we just hand to a secretary. Heavenly Father answers prayers. The keyword is "answers." We must listen and look for an answer.
  • Third, we need to discern how that answer will apply to us that day, week, month, or even throughout our lifetime. Doing each of these things in our personal prayers can increase the power and impact of them.

I would also like to talk about prayers being answered. I cannot tell you just how incredible it is when I get the opportunity to see an investigator's prayer be answered. It's priceless. Before we tract a street, Elder Jones and I will pray to find a specific number of people on that street. Nearly every time, we find that number of people. Recently, we prayed to find two new investigators (people we've taught a lesson to and have a return appointment with) on a street. We found two people, but we didn't get a return appointment. Two days ago, we stopped by their house and taught them again. They became new investigators. Two weeks after the actual prayer, we received an answer.


Heavenly Father answers prayers. There is no doubt about it. Ask in faith, believing that you'll receive, and it will be given to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment